03 June 2007

JV Summer Intern Training

We arrived at intern training on Thursday evening. That night Dave Patty shared the history behind JV, the mission statement, and vision. I have heard this story many times before, but it is always good to hear how God continues to move in the countries of Eastern Europe.

Our daily schedule for the week consists of breakfast, devotions, 2 morning sessions, lunch, free time/focus groups, dinner, worship and an evening session. During Devotions we are going through the book of 2 Timothy. Over the past two mornings we have talked about the first 12 verses.

“For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:6-7

Yesterdays two morning sessions were about apologetics. We discussed what the youth of the various countries (Czech, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine) look like and what their world views commonly are. We also read the beginning of a paper about various world views, the Christian response to these views, and various responses. Today the sessions were on English classes and how to teach English in a camp setting. Most of the information on English was review as I have been through some form of training with JV 4 other times, but it was good to get some new ideas for lessons plans and various themes. In the evening session we are studying the book of Ephesians. Last night Dave Patty talked about who we are in Christ. We started by answering the question, “Who am I?” from different perspectives: family, position, work and accomplishments, abilities, and relationships. We then discussed who God says we are in Christ. We ended the night by praying for each other based on Ephesians 1:17-19.

“I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelations, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his
mighty strength,”

There is a lot of applicable information presented over a week of intern training. Last year I learned so much, but it took me a while to process it all afterwards. Therefore, this year I am really trying to absorb, review, and understand everything as I go. I know not everyone will want to read all the detailed descriptions of training but it is a way for me to organize my thoughts as well as keep you all updated on my life, especially because I have internet access this week-an event that does not happen very often.

No comments: