24 March 2007

...Heal my limbs then joyfully I’ll run to You...


A year ago I ran a half marathon in 2:18:33, this year I ran it in 2:16:57. I was very disappointed because I had wanted to break the 2 hour mark-not that I really trained to do that, but that was my goal. I have to say when I realized around mile 10.5 that it wasn't going to happen, I lost a lot of motivation. I give Erik tons of credit for sticking beside me through the whole thing even though he could have easily finished a half an hour ahead of me.

So I thought about running and racing some more. I still wasn't completely satisfied even with people telling me it was good just to finish it. That's just not good enough in a runner's mind. We run against the clock and against ourselves. The more we run the more we want to keep running and the faster we want to go. It's probably an addiction-a fairly good one but one none the less. Its a great way to explore, to spend time thinking, to enjoy being outdoors, and to talk with God.

And then it hit me last night, as 19 of my friends gathered together for a night of singing worship songs to God and praying. Towards the end we started singing "You're Everything"- David Crowder Band.

Why do You shine so?
Can a blind man see?
Why do you call?
Why do You beckon me?
Can the deaf hear
The voice of love?
Would You have me come?
Can the cripple run?
Are You the one?

To raise me up from this grave
Touch my tongue and then I’ll sing
Heal my limbs then joyfully I’ll run to You

You’re everything
I could want
That I could need
And I can just
Feel Your touch
And I can’t breathe

Look how You shine so
The blind can see
And how you call
How You beckon me
The deaf hear
The voice of love
You bid me come
And the cripple run
You’re the one

In less than a year I have gone from being on crutches and wearing a knee brace just to walk, to being able to finish a half marathon. I had said before the race that every time that God gave me to run even a little bit I was forever thankful and joyful. And then I went and ran 13.1 miles and was upset about it. So although it is a little delayed and took me a while to remember, I am thankful. For He literally did heal my limbs, and joyfully I will run to Him.

1 comment:

JennyMae said...

you're an inspiration
Praise God for His faithfulness to us (enter 2 tim verse!)

and speaking of running, thank you for the run the other day. there isn't anyone else I would rather run with (and that's saying a lot!)